Thursday, December 15, 2011

Are You Following Me?

I recently heard something that has stuck in my mind like food stuck between teeth. I just keep going back to it. It was this: It is not until we change that others will follow. Think about that for a moment. If we want change in those around us, we must first change so they have something to follow.


If I want my children to stop barking at one another, perhaps I must first look at myself to see where I am barking at others. And I must change. If I want my children to respect me and their father and other authorities, perhaps I must first look at my attitude toward authority. What tone of voice am I using with my husband? What kind of attitude greets him when he needs me to help him with something? How do I talk about authority figures I don't like or with whom I disagree? And I must change. If I want my country to embrace biblical values, perhaps I need to look at myself and see where I have comprimised. And I must change. If I want others to desire Jesus, perhaps I need to look to see if He can be seen in me. And I must change.


But how? I believe Philippians 2:1-8 holds the answer.


"Therefore, if [there is] any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love,
if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.
[Let] nothing [be done] through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind
let each esteem others better than himself.
Let each of you look out not only for his own interests,
but also for the interests of others.
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant,
[and] coming in the likeness of men.
And being found in appearance as a man,
He humbled Himself and became obedient to [the point of] death,
even the death of the cross" (NKJV).


When we have the love of Christ, when we have the humble mind of Christ, when we think more highly of others, when we make ourselves of no reputation and become the servant of others, and when we are obedient to the word of God to the point of death, we will be worth following.


I want my life to be a platform from which the Lord can proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's not going to happen by accident. Our marriages won't be transformed by accident. My children aren't going to be obedient, respectful, helpful, kind, and others minded by accident. Our country isn't giong to change by accident. We must change.


Will you accept a challenge to be the one to change? Will you be the person others can follow to bring about the change we desire in our families, communities, church, and nation? Will you join me in making Phillipians 2:1-8 a verse by which to live? Friend, I pray your answer is yes.


Many blessings,


Shauna Wallace
Holy His

No comments:

Post a Comment